Moisturiser is such an important part of every skincare routine and should not be left out. As Australia shifts into the cooler season, our skin will become drier and dehydrated because we are not drinking as much water. Moisturising your skin is an absolute must, no matter what your skin type is! Here are 5 reasons why you should moisturise your skin every day.
Having a dull complexion is pretty much non-existent on your skincare goals, right? Not using moisturiser can really have an effect on the complexion of your skin. The dry air, especially during winter, can dehydrate the outer layer of your skin causing it to be easily irritated and flaky. Moisturising daily can help your skin glow and boost the skin’s ability to repair itself.
As you age, your skin can actually lose its ability to retain moisture. If you don’t use moisturiser regularly, the moisture barrier of your skin can be exposed to UV rays, pollutants and other external factors. This can further damage your skin and cause it to age easily.
Quicker Cell Turnover
The human skin is an amazing organ of the body. It consists of several layers and the top layer is called the epidermis. Did you know that our skin cells sheds every hour? As we age, this regeneration process slows down. Moisturising the skin can really help quicker cell turnover so that it can maintain its youthful glow.
Have you ever tried applying foundation to just pure skin? It feels as though there is nothing use for the foundation to latch onto. Your skin absorbs the foundation straight away which is not the outcome you want. Moisturiser acts as a protective barrier between your skin and your makeup because it can also help smooth the foundation application for a flawless finish.
Tips for moisturising
- use your fingers to moisturiser – sponges or brushes will soak up most of the moisture, which leaves nothing left for your skin to absorb (make sure your hands are clean!)
- if you’re using a heavy textured moisturiser, always apply it last – your skincare order is based on texture; lightest to heaviest
- wait for your serums, oils and gels to absorb before applying moisturiser
- use a moisturiser with SPF in the morning so you can completely protect your skin from UV rays
- don’t forget to moisturise the neck and décolletage