Most people think about food as one of the biggest highlights of the holidays. Wherever you go, there always seem to be an abundance of savory food and sweet desserts available throughout November and December. Whether you’re following a TLS Weight Loss Solution program or just want to eat healthier, there are a few things you can do to avoid feeling regret or even an extra few pounds. Read on to discover our top 5 holiday smart eating tips!
- Fill your plate with small portions and avoid stacking food. With smaller portions, you are able to sample all the different foods but in moderation.
- Put your fork down in between bites. Chew and thoroughly enjoy your food. It takes your body 20 minutes to realize it is full so taking a bit in between bites will help you realize when you’ve hit the point of full.
- Never go to a holiday gathering hungry. We tend to eat faster and more when we are hungry – therefore eat a wholesome breakfast and lunch on the day to avoid overeating at the party.
- Make new traditions. Have everyone take a brisk walk before or after the big meal. Not only will everyone gain the benefits from the physical activity, you will be able to enjoy their company in the holiday season without distractions.
- Don’t overindulge on alcohol during the holidays. Cutting back on alcohol can literally save you hundreds of calories (not to mention, money). Don’t feel the need to have a few drinks at every holiday party you attend, saving alcohol for only special occasions will help your weight loss goals stay on track. When you decide to indulge, try alternating alcoholic drinks with a glass of water. Plus, water will help you feel more full when it’s time to eat.
Do you have any tips for making healthy choices during the holidays? Share them with us in the comments below.