Resolutions have an inherently temporary quality to them, while setting goals can have a much more profound impact on our overall success and development.
I’d like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a safe and happy new year. With each new year comes the opportunity to reassess your progress in life – and rather than think in terms of resolutions, I like to consider this a time to reflect on milestones while also reevaluating your goals.
With each new year JR and I liked to sit down and write out a list of 10-20 things we wanted to accomplish. For us, this was much more impactful than making mere resolutions. I recently found a list of JR’s goals from last year, and he had achieved nearly all of them. He didn’t just teach – he really did practice what he preached!
One great way to follow in JR’s footsteps is to emulate his approach for New Year’s goal setting. Now is the perfect time to write down your list of goals for 2023 and what you’re willing to do to make those goals a reality. This is what JR did every year and it played a huge role in his overall success and outlook on life.
With that in mind, I invite you to consider your goals and objectives for the coming year and to also revisit your goals statement. When doing so, try to focus on these five steps…
- Visualize what you wish to achieve, ranging from the simplest, most attainable goals to your wildest hopes and dreams.
- Consider what you’re willing to commit in terms of time, effort, and result producing activities.
- Formulate a plan of action by breaking everything down into daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly steps. All of these should build towards one another and ultimately help you achieve your goals.
- Write it all down onto a page or two Goals Statement. The act of writing everything down is itself empowering and important for conceptualization.
- Read your Goals Statement twice a day and adjust as you go. Read it out loud. Ponder it. Consider each action you take in terms of your goals. Are you being pulled closer to achieving your goals or are you being pushed further away? Knowing this is everything!
Going through this process is an affirmation of your abilities and a tremendous way to focus your perspective and steel your resolve. Take the time to really consider where you are, where you stand, where you’re going, and what you ultimately hope to accomplish.
Success won’t manifest overnight, but if you break it all down to daily, weekly, and monthly goals – then the impossible draws within reach. It’s all about mindset and perspective, so go into 2023 with a positive outlook if you want to achieve positive results! It’s what JR always did!