Tacos are always a good idea. Seriously. They’re quick, easy, and super customizable for everyone’s dietary needs! Of course, they aren’t always the healthiest option – but, that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy tacos for Cinco de Mayo! If you love tacos just as much as the TLS® crew, these healthier taco recipes are here to save the day.
Jalapeno-Lime Fish Tacos
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Serves:Makes 4 servings
- ⅓ cup Greek yogurt, plain
- 1 T lime juice
- 2 T pickled jalapenos, minced
- 1 T white vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- ½ medium red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 2 stalks green onion, sliced
- 2 T cilantro, chopped
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 pound tilapia fillets
- 1 T taco seasoning
- 2 T avocado oil
- 8 large lettuce leaves
- Salsa, to top
- Mix yogurt, lime zest and juice, minced jalapenos, jalepeno brine, cumin, and salt in a large bowl
- Add and combine cabbage, bell peppers, green onions, and cilantro, then season with salt and pepper to taste
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve
- Pat tilapia fillets with paper towels, then sprinkle both sides with taco seasoning
- Heat oil in skillet over high heat until shimmering, then add fillets skin side up, and let cook for 2 minutes.
- Carefully turn fillets and cook until fish flakes in the middle, about 1-2 additional minutes.
- Remove fish from pan and divide among lettuce leaves.
- Using half of the slaw, top fillets and add salsa.
Cinco de Mayo Veggie Tacos
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Serves: Makes 3 servings
- 1 large zucchini (about 12 ounces), diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 extra large onion, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 cup frozen okra, thawed and drained
- 1 cup frozen lima beans, thawed and drained
- 1 cup Pace® Roasted Poblano & Corn Salsa
- Corn tortillas to serve
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Place zucchini, red pepper, and diced onion onto a rimmed baking sheet, season as desired, drizzle with oil and toss to coat.
- Roast for 15 minutes, then add the okra and lima beans, and roast for 15 minutes more.
- Remove the vegetables and place into a large bowl, add salsa, and toss to coat.
- Spoon 1/3 cup vegetable mix onto each tortilla, top with cilantro and additional salsa, if desired.
Pico & Lime Shredded Chicken Tacos
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Serves: Makes 4 servings
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, butterflied
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 2 T lime juice
- 12 romaine lettuce leafs
- Fresh pico de gallo, to taste
- Black beans, to taste
- Add chicken, broth, lime juice, & spices to sauce pan, making sure that the liquid covers the chicken.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for approximately 10 minutes.
- Shred chicken with 2 forks, and add back to liquid for 5 minutes.
- Assemble lettuce boats, and divide chicken, pico, and black beans evenly among them.